muskingum university’s proud heritage began when ohio was an infant state and covered wagons were bringing adventurous settlers westward over the newly completed national road through new concord.
on march 18, 1837, muskingum college’s charter was granted by the ohio state legislature, to educate the sons of the farming village of new concord in the classical college tradition.
in 1854, women began to be admitted on an equal basis with men.
during muskingum’s early years, the predominant religion was presbyterian, reflecting the scotch-irish heritage of the farmers who founded both the village of new concord and the college. in 1877, the college became formally associated with the synod of ohio of the united presbyterian church. today, muskingum welcomes all students irrespective of religious tradition and retains its affiliation with the presbyterian church (usa), through the three-state synod of the covenant.
in 2009, muskingum college became muskingum university, with its new name reflecting the breadth and depth of the undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs.